Just north of springbokNababeep’s name combines two Name words, naba, meaning ‘hump of an animal’ and bib, meaning ‘small spring’. Mining began in the 1850s and, from 1876, ore for export was taken to Port Nolloth by train. The mine closed during the copper slump of 1919, but reopened in 1937. It is home to the Okiep Copper Company and the region’s largest copper-mining town.
ATTRACTIONSMining Museum Charts the copper boom.Clara, a narrow-gauge steam locomotive used to rail copper ore to Port Nolloth, is on display. (Mon-Fri 9h00-13h00; flower season 9h00-17h00).
Skaaprivier Hiking Trail A scenic and relatively easy 2 day trail down a canyon. Tel 027 712 8035/6