112km South of springbok
In 1845, Garies sprang up on land given to the Dutch Reformed Church by the owner of the farm Goedeverwagting. Originally named after the farm, its present name, a Khoisan word meaning ‘couch-grass’, was given it by former Cape premier John X Merriman.
TOURIST INFORMATIONThe Town Clerk, Kamiesberg Municipality PO Box 38, Garies 8220 Tel 027 652 8000
ATTRACTIONSLetterklip (letter stone) at Garies comprises several enormous, megalithic boulders carrying the names of early Namakwa travellers. Roodebergskloof Hiking Trail Tel 027 652 8000 Spring flowers Garies is a centre for those setting out to enjoy spring’s show of exuberance in the Kamiesberg.
ACCOMODATIONGaries Hotel and Restaurant GRADING H Tel 027 652 1042 Fax 027
652 1141 Email email@example.com