105km northeast of Sutherland
Named after a Scottish cleric and immigrant, Rev Colin Fraser, Fraserburg was founded in the West Nuweveld in 1851 on a high plateau north of the Nuweveld Mountains. The town is full of well-preserved Victorian buildings. It was in Fraserburg that law agent HWA Cooper began writing the culturally important ‘Boerebrieven’ for Het Volksblad in 1870.
TOURIST INFORMATIONKaroo Hoogland Municipality Tel 023 571 1265 or 023 741 1012 Web: www.karoohoogland.co.za
ATTRACTIONSCorbelled House On the farm Driefontein. De Postjes Trail Majestic mountains, wide open plains and overhanging cliffs dominate the scenery. Fossilised footprints are found in the area. The routes are well marked and ideal for hiking, biking and 4×4-ing. The highlight is the Mail Coach Pass which has a decline of 300 metres over less than a kilometre. Tel 023 741 1111 / 083 347 8477
The Gansfontein PalaeosurfaceGansfontein Palaeosurface Five kms out of town, the palaeosurface discovered by N van Gass in 1968 comprises several trackways of large, four-footed, five- oed mammalian reptiles. The prints are approximately 190 million years old. Museum Housed in the Old Rectory, it complements the area’s prehistory with a magnificent fossil exhibition. Peperbus The six-sided Peperbus (Pepper Box), designed by the Reverend Bamberger and built by Adam Jacobs in 1861 as an office, has housed the church, the magistrate and the municipality. Powder Magazine Depot Overlooking the town, the powder magazine was used by British forces during the Anglo-Boer War.